Pages

Senior Helpline: 211 * City of Jacksonville: 630-CITY

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Talking Book Review

Mom Can’t See Me by Sally Hobart Alexander

I read this book to my children when I learned how to read Braille. My children thoroughly enjoyed hearing it as much as I loved reading it to them.

Alexander, to give readers a picture of her life, told her story from the vantage point of her nine-year-old daughter. It is a warm picture of family life and explains how both mother and daughter have learned to cope with living with a handicap. Alexander participates in all the family activities: cooking, cleaning, taking the children to lessons, and volunteering at school. She includes some of the frustrations of blindness as well, such as the fear children express of "catching" blindness and the sadness Alexander feels in not seeing what her children are seeing. Ancona's clear black-and-white photographs greatly amplify the text, showing the family at work and at play.

Although this book is intended for children in Elementary school, I believe that it is a must read for all ages.

Happy Reading!!!

No comments: